Jamie Lithgow, Craig Wilson & Brian Damage
In ‘This Week in Wrestling’ Jamie shares what wrestling taught him this week, Craig discusses AJ Lee’s retirement and, with WWE touring the UK, Brian shares with us the best UK wrestling related images he’s come across this week.
All that and more in this edition of This Week in Wrestling…
“Hold On A Minute Playa…”
- “Why is it that we cannot have a US Title match here tonight?” Well John, it’s because Rusev is the number one contender, and if you lose the belt you would also require a rematch and thus adversely affect Rusev’s chances of obtaining his rematch. Simple really.
- How long before Neville becomes ‘Nev’?
- At least The Prime Time Players t-shirts are cool…
- Why don’t WWE just make the first month free for new Network subscribers a permanent promotion?
- Good: John Cena has introduced a new move to his repertoire
- Bad: It seems to defy the principles of momentum conservation
- How many matches have the current crop of Divas had together?
- And finally, for no reason, Ryback in the WWE Title hunt…
AJ Lee’s retirement
Perhaps not the most surprising thing long term considering her marriage to CM Punk and his ongoing lawsuit with WWE doctor Chris Amann, which backstage sources suggesting that was the reason behind it.
Her retirement, which forfeits her the chance to perform anywhere else in pro wrestling or other sports, brings to an end a near six year WWE career for April Brooks which made her one of the most popular divas in WWE history.
More recently I had high high hopes over her programme with Paige which saw the on-off friends team at Wrestlemania. It seemed it was a friendship, on screen, that had little longevity ahead of a programme together in the future. Shame we aren’t now going to see these two work together in a divas division that looks, for the first time in a long time, strong on talent.
Regardless I, like everyone else at this blog, holds her in high regard due to her in-ring work and what she brought to WWE programming and wish her and her new husband all the best now that they are both out of the world of wrestling.
In honor of the WWE’s annual post Wrestlemania trip to the United Kingdom…here are a few UK themed pics to set the mood…
Sheamus and Finn Balor in the ring together displaying their Irish pride….
Who knew John Cena moved furniture in the UK as a side business?!?
A little wrestling history lesson…
We are all aware of the British Bulldogs of Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid and their mascot Matilda. Well years before them…there was a tag team called….The British Bulldogs of Sir Edward Heath & Lord Jonathan Foley with their mascot Winston.
‘This Week in Wrestling’ columns can be read here.