Jamie Lithgow, Craig Wilson & Brian Damage
In ‘This Week in Wrestling’ Jamie shares what Raw taught him this week, Craig talks about Smackdown and wrestling doppelgängers and Brian shares with us the best wrestling related images he’s come across this week.
All that and more in this edition of This Week in Wrestling…
“Hold On A Minute Playa…” Raw Edition
- If the Curb Stomp – which requires the recipient to fall face first to the mat – is now banned for safety reasons, will The Pedigree follow suit…?
- El Torito could have been WWE Champion?
- Wrapping a chain around someone’s throat – not PG
- Awkwardly wrapping a chain across someone’s face – that’s okay kids!
- If Kane is the “Gatekeeper” then who is the “Key Master”?
- A man who wrestles in street clothes and barely speaks in public is considered “eccentric” in the WWE Universe
- If John Cena stayed exactly the same, but the commentator’s attitudes towards him altered, would he become a heel without actually doing anything?
- Concerned about an irritated rival who has a reputation for striking “outta nowhere”? Don’t stay in your private changing room; wander aimlessly around the backstage area and jump at sudden noises instead.
- Randy Orton > the entire tag team division
- Nobody from the last season of Tough Enough – including the winner – was afforded an opportunity in WWE, but fuck it, let’s do it again!
“Hold On A Minute Playa…” Smackdown! Edition
- Having your main champion lie down for Kane, isn’t great busness sense…
- Great idea from WWE having Reigns come to the aid of a superstar that’s actually popular amongst the fanbase. Best way to get th fans to cheer him.
- Haters gonna hate but I like Neville’s ‘The Man That Gravity Forgot’.
- The WWE love writing promos that rubbish the size of another performer and Neville is the latest recipient of such a dig, this time from Sheamus
- Dolph Ziggler’s DDT is awesome.
- When the commentators mimic Sheamus’ prononounciation of “arse”, I can’t help but think of this scene from Friends.
- I’m really glad The Prime Time Players are back together
- The promo videos for Tough Enough are entertaining. If only the WWE had its own video based social media platform that they could use. Oh wait…
- Why do the WWE think a happy clappy trio would get over?
- Why do the WWE think letting a member of said happy clappy trio beat Cesaro in what was effectively a squash match was a good idea?
- Good cheers on Smackdown for Reigns or was it piped in?
Last week we talked about the super rare “Boxcar Willie” WWF action figure…this week we talk about another “extremely” rare figure…The Sandman. This is a prototype of a Sandman action figure that the WWE was going to release back a few years ago. It was scrapped after the Sandman (Real name James Fullington) got drunk at a WWE event and the doll was scrapped as was eventually the Sandman too.
Before she became “The Ravishing Russian” Lana…CJ Perry was signed to a record label as a member of a girl band called…”No Means Yes.” They broke up about a year after forming…I guess No really meant No?
Goldie Hawn’s husband Kurt Russell and Dolph Ziggler…
Geordie comic Ross Noble and, errr…., Geordie wrestler Neville
Hip Hop star “Killer Mike” made a song about who else???……Nature Boy Ric Flair…aptly titled…Ric Flair…here it is…Warning…Explicit lyrics….
Here’s something I really found interesting…
A Tough Enough audition from someone who was actually a WWE Diva at one time…. Amy Zidian. If you don’t know, Zidian was hired by the WWE as a manager to Jimmy Wang Yang back in 2006. She was fired after about a month with the company for talking trash to Vickie Guerrero and not knowing who Stephanie McMahon was. I say give her a shot…she may be the most interesting person on the revived show….
‘This Week in Wrestling’ columns can be read here.